Why didn't we vote?

Jetty

Why didn't we vote?

Post by Jetty »

I was just wondering why didn't we vote to spend the $3200 for the study of widening the street. As a school teacher, I am all for students waiting for their busses safely, but as an owner writing out a $219 fee every month, I would rather see our dues go down EVEN ONE DOLLAR, then spend. And now with the roof fiasco, don't we need our money more than ever?? So I was just wondering why is was presented at the meeting generally and those that agreed just shook their heads and it was over.
Chuck

Re: Why didn't we vote?

Post by Chuck »

There seems to be a lot of things going on where money is being spent without any imput from the owners.
One owner was told they would be told "at the appropriate time" when they asked about things.
Isn't this why we revolted before?
cas12

Post by cas12 »

We need to have more owners step up and voice their concerns. Complacency is a leading cause for any management to act out their agenda. We've already had that experience with "EXCEL" property management! They had their hands deep into our pockets before a few concerned owners became involved to put an end to it.
Let's not allow this to happen,again!
"IF IT'S NOT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!"
If all of our roof's are in such "bad" shape, where are all the leak complaints?
We need, at least, 3 opinions.(estimates)
edrutecki

Post by edrutecki »

I have to agree with all of the above. I realize that Fairfield Council is an elected/volunteer position that no one is compensated for, although countless hours of personal time is expended. Nonetheless, the residents need to be voting on the direction that they feel the community needs to go. I for one do not feel ,at this point in time ,that we should be incurring any increases in our maintenence expenses. We have many issues with builder defects that will significantly reduce our available finances.
As a responsible member of this community, and one who has always been current with my HOA dues, I request that decision making on fiscal issues be transparent, and inclusive of all paying homeowners. The authorization of costly expenses should come from the homeowners, and not be the sole decision of any board member or members. We all have a share in our community, and deserve to be a part of the decision making process.
Jetty

Post by Jetty »

Yes, wilh all DUE RESPECT to ALL members that serve countless UNPAID hours doing a THANKLESS job, I certainly appreciate you. I thought that we were supporting Robert's Rules of Order and I didn't hear a proposal, a second or a vote....and it seems like no one on the board has seen this discussion to answer. Oh well. I do have to admit, the meetings are scantily attended. It's a shame.

And I am an owner that has a leak. I am also an owner that froze and burst a pipe way back when.
ChristineGsell

Post by ChristineGsell »

With more than 11 homes on the market in Fair Field and average list time is 6 or more months with mostly 'no sales' the HOA dues is a contributor as to why buyers not qualifing for financing. If we need a roof much later down the line and we are funded as required by law, we need to get the dues reduced temporarily to get some of these homes sold versus having them go back to the bank. How can we get a positive discussion about temporarily reducing the dues?
edrutecki

Post by edrutecki »

Lowering the HOA dues would be a great idea. Unfortunately the biggest foot on the throat of the Fairfield homeowners is the Longneck Water Company. I don't know the exact number but apparently we pay somewhere in the area of 70,000.00 dollars of year for the hookups that the sprinkler system requires. Unfortunately this expense continues to rise every year. Until some kind of independence is gained from this I do not see how the dues are going to be lowered. There were a couple proposals for turning off the sprinklers in the buildings that did not have lofts to drilling wells to supply our own water. The wells I understand would be very expensive but could be paid for in 10 years and we would be in control of that expense. Maybe this is something to be brought up for discussion at the next meeting.