United Propane

Jetty

United Propane

Post by Jetty »

My bill has tripled. I go down maybe once a weekend in the winter and I keep my (inside) unit at 55. When I'm there, I keep it at 65. UP simply cannot tell me that I use $500 worth of gas. It's just not possible. Is anyone else having this problem? I paid last year, but I simply refuse to let them take advantage of me like this.
GregZerphy

Re: United Propane

Post by GregZerphy »

see below
Last edited by GregZerphy on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
edrutecki

Post by edrutecki »

So far there is no answer to this mystery. Our bill averages about 300.00 per month set at 55 and we never seem to make it down. We have had the meter replaced. The lines and heater checked for leaks. The heater ducting resealed about three times. I have closed down the vents in the loft to just a trickle to try and force a majority of the hot air to the lower floor. We also put a curtain up at the top of the stairwell on the first floor. The latest is Anderson found missing insulation under the loft deck and had to rip out a 8x4 section of drywall from the Masterbedroom ceiling to repair the problem. I have a new thermostat to install the next time I come down.
One homeowner was installing a heatpump with propane backup, but I have not heard any reports on what kind of difference it made in his bills.
I don't know what the answer is but propane does not seem to be it.

Ed
GregZerphy

Post by GregZerphy »

Check for gaps between the ductwork and the subfloor at the first floor registers. Our unit has four total: kitchen(1), 1/2 bath(1), living room(2). Remove the floor registers and check for gaps. You can feel the cold air blowing through these gaps. I used nails for the larger gaps and then sealed the perimeter of the cut out with duct tape. Reinstall the floor registers. What a difference, NO MORE COLD AIR blowing into the first floor we are trying desperately to heat.

Having an unheated garage directly below living quarters obviously works against us. Has anyone checked how much insulation(if any) is in the garage ceiling? This is something I'll be checking this summer to see if we can blow in additional insulation.

We have an end unit and I know that is worse case scenario in heating season with three exposed walls. I even installed insulation in all outside wall outlets and switchplates.

I've asked this question before without any replies, what are the propane bills for the full timers in our community?

I'd love to get more participation on this forum so we can help one another with our issues.
Jetty

Post by Jetty »

I just think someone is making some serious money off of us, and it isn't me!!! Something needs to be done. I know they offered those "metors", but it was UP who offered them to us and I thougt that was a little shady. Something is just not right and honestly, I'm having trouble affording these bills. It's ridiculous.
edrutecki

Post by edrutecki »

At the Homeowners meetings ( the next one is April 30 2011) Ed Levering usually updates the homeowners on his research into this ongoing issue. If I remember correctly propane is the most inefficient of all the possible heat sources with a heatpump being the best. We seem to be getting the best rate for propane that is currently available although the quality of propane we are receiving has yet to be verified.
Unfortunatly there is no quick answer. There is all kind of backroom intrigue between UP and Anderson but the end result seems to be propane is never going to heat your home efficiently. Heatpump is the way to go if you do not mind spending somewhere between 3-5,000 dollars for an upgrade.