sprinkler breaks ?

abwjms

sprinkler breaks ?

Post by abwjms »

apparently there have been sprinkler freeze-ups and leaks again. details, particularly of temperatures and whether the heat was being maintained in those units, as well as whether there was a heating unit failure, would be appreciated. Sympathy to those whose units are affected...

http://www.wunderground.com/history/air ... atename=NA

shows me the 5, 8 and 10F lows within the last 10 days so this isn't much different from 15-17 Jan2009 when this happened previously ( http://www.wunderground.com/history/air ... atename=NA )
edrutecki

Re: sprinkler breaks ?

Post by edrutecki »

Sprinkler pipes burst in bldgs 3,9,& 17. Two broke in the lofts causing severe damage. I am not sure where the other broke. Possibly a sunroom.

I believe the heat was on in all three units. I do know that one of the units had the temp set at 72. The suspician is that the condensation line froze on the heater shutting it down.

All the pipes and heating should have been restored today. As far as I know all sprinkler systems are now fully functional. Insurance investigators are due out sometime next week. Remediation work is also underway.

Check out the photo gallery of the Indian River Volunteer Fire Co. Not a pretty site but it gives you an idea of what went on. Fairfield was not the only casualty. The marina and Lingo Landing also suffered breaks.

This is about all I really know for a fact at this moment.
abwjms

Post by abwjms »

thanks Ed. Those pictures are rough. We'll need to do what we can to find out the causes so others can avoid this.
edrutecki

Post by edrutecki »

It all has to do with how the insulation is installed. The damaged homes will not have the drywall replaced until Radius verifies that the insulation is installed correctly. Not an easy repair on a fully sheetrocked home.
Residential Sprinkler Piping in Cold Space.pdf
(101.7 KiB) Downloaded 580 times
This should give you some idea of what is required.
abwjms

Post by abwjms »

Thanks for the info. It's rough... we had ours checked a couple years ago and the result was it was acceptable. hoping that this week comes off well.