Fairfield heatpump conversion

edrutecki

Fairfield heatpump conversion

Post by edrutecki »

The following was provided to me by homeowner Larry Klute who became fed up with propane and converted to an all electric heatpump.

I retired on April 1, 2010, and began living full time in what was our weekend place at Fairfield, a Baywood model which has a loft. Our new Trane high efficiency heat pump and back-up electric furnace were installed on April 16, 2011.

Our electric bill from May 2010 to April 2011 (before the new equipment) was $2,014.47 for 18,820 KWH. Our propane gas bill for the same period was $2,036.15. The total electric and gas was $4,050.62.

Our electric cost for the next year from May 2011 to April 2012 was $1,967.99 for 16,821 KWH.

Therefore, our savings was $2,082.63, or 51.4% of $4,050.62, for the first year of using the new high efficiency equipment. During that first year I was trying to keep the thermostats set at the lowest comfortable levels.

The next year, from May 2012 to April 2013, our electric bill was $2,371.49 for 2,225 KWH. This was still a savings of $1,679.13, or 41.5% of $4,050.62 when we were using both electric and propane. This second year and currently we are enjoying comfortable settings on the thermostats for heat (72 degrees downstairs and 68 degrees in the loft) and not being so concerned about worrying about the savings (because we now know there are good savings).

We did not use our propane fireplace during the first year of the new equipment, and the pilot was turned off. During the winter of 2011-2012 and currently we also have been using the gas fireplace, which costs about $60 per month. We turn the pilot off in the spring, and have it serviced when we want to turn the pilot back on in the fall.

Like your unit, we are South facing, and get the benefit of solar savings in the winter, and probably pay more for AC in the summer.

With the new equipment, we feel that we have experienced a quicker warm-up or cool-down time with more force behind the air, and more even distribution throughout the 3 story townhouse.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Larry Klute and Eric Peterson
Jetty

Re: Fairfield heatpump conversion

Post by Jetty »

Could you give us a ballpark on how much it cost to have a heat pump bought and installed? I'm done with propane!
Thank you for posting your information.
edrutecki

Post by edrutecki »

Larry and Eric were kind enough to invite me into their home to tour their heat pump installation. I believe this installation is about 3 years old and very professionally done.

outside unit
outside unit
I was quite pleased with what I saw and Larry's description of it's performance. I will be contacting Richard Clark at Service Today for an estimate. The numbers I was given for Mr. Clark are 800-659-2273 and cell 302-841-7392.

I'm guessing this probably is a 9-10 thousand dollar job minus incentives. I will not know for sure till I get a couple estimates. Another thing to factor in is that this is a 3ton unit so the house will heat and cool much quicker. The air is also more evenly distibuted with vents that now have low airflow working at their full potential.

I'm starting to think this might not be a good long term community goal to be propane free.

I'll update once I get some hard numbers.
Attachments
unit in the loft
unit in the loft
edrutecki

Post by edrutecki »

Jetty wrote:Could you give us a ballpark on how much it cost to have a heat pump bought and installed? I'm done with propane!
Thank you for posting your information.
I have a contract with Service Today to have a heat pump installed the second week of May. The cost will be just under $9,000.00 for the entire installation. This is for a full electric system. I will be having the gas meter removed from my house after this is completed.

The salesman is Richard Clark 302-841-7392. I can not say enough about how professional and knowledgable Mr Clark is.

I'm really looking forward to having this done. I'll update later with how the installation went.
Jetty

Post by Jetty »

That's pretty steep for me, but I don't really see any other alternative. I refuse to give suburban or united propane any more money!!
edrutecki

Post by edrutecki »

Jetty wrote:That's pretty steep for me, but I don't really see any other alternative. I refuse to give suburban or united propane any more money!!
I hear you and I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My installation is now complete and the Suburban meter has been removed. I had to leave for home shortly after the Service Today technicians finished so I do not have an evaluation yet. The one comment I can make is that the new system is very very quiet. The old one sounded like a jet engine running up in the loft.
Attachments
new air handler in loft
new air handler in loft
new heat pump
new heat pump