Spring Cleanup

edrutecki

Spring Cleanup

Post by edrutecki »

Just throwing it out there to think about. If the weather permits I am going to hold a Spring Community clean up for Sat 3/29/14.

I will send out a heads up eblast on Monday and if everything is a go there will be a conformation at the end of the week. I now have 4 wwedwackers that I trashpicked and repaired so that should help things out. Homeowner Jack Layton donated a broken chainsaw that I also repaired over the winter. We now have 2 chainsaws to use. I will need people to bring leaf and garden rakes. Even if you can't get involved in heavy work I would still like to have people walk the neighborhood and pick up trash. I will stop at Harbor Freight and buy a couple more trash grabbers sometime this week.

Anything else please speak up. It would be great if more homeowners would come to this forum. Toan did a most excellant job setting this up. I would hate to see it go to waste.
edrutecki

Re: Spring Cleanup

Post by edrutecki »

It's not looking good for this weekend. I'm going to try for April 5th now.
edrutecki

Post by edrutecki »

As of this moment April 5th is a go.

We will meet on Blue Mist near S. Gloucester at 9am.

I will be sending out an email also.
Vincent_Przybyla

Post by Vincent_Przybyla »

I noticed that clean-up usually focuses on weed-whacking the drainage ditch. I was wondering why we are cutting down the reeds--which absorb water and support bacteria breakdown of the drainage (?). This action is driving away the herons as well. I did not see any trash pick-up--though I may have missed it.
edrutecki

Post by edrutecki »

Vincent_Przybyla wrote:I noticed that clean-up usually focuses on weed-whacking the drainage ditch. I was wondering why we are cutting down the reeds--which absorb water and support bacteria breakdown of the drainage (?). This action is driving away the herons as well. I did not see any trash pick-up--though I may have missed it.
The storm water retention basins and drain ways are not a wildlife refuge. Once these ponds become choked with reeds and silt and can no longer function as designed a company such as Envirotech would need to be hired. These people do not work cheap. Anything we can do as a Community benefits us all by not having to raise HOA fees to cover this work. It is in all of our best interests to keep expenses to a minimum.

The reeds in question are called phragmites. They are a highly invasive species usually sprayed by DNREC from the air. I don't believe they are going to spray a community with weed killer so we do what we can do to keep them at bay.

I received an email the other week with pictures showing three herons along Blue Mist Dr. The sender was thrilled to see that many at once.

The amount of work done depends on the amount of volunteers that show up. I take the time to shake everyone's hand that comes out to help. We all went home with sore backs and other muscles but knowing that we made a difference. I don’t recall shaking your hand at any of the clean ups that have been held to date Mr. Przbyla. I’ll make sure I look for you at the next clean up in case I missed you.

These clean ups do not have to be limited to my agenda. If anyone has a special project they would like to run please let me know. I’ll make sure it gets promoted and if I can will come and volunteer.
Vincent_Przybyla

Post by Vincent_Przybyla »

Interesting.

I did not say that it was a wildlife refuge--only that Herons prefer to rest there and said actions have driven them away. I also do not think that the drainage ditches are being "choked" by these reeds (thanks for providing the proper name, by the way). They soak the water--not disperse it. I also am wondering why we are talking about raising fees again as the only option (?). Strange.

Yes--since you are being so candid, Mr. Rutecki, you did not see me at the "Trash Pickup"--because a week before I (by myself) picked up all of the trash in the drainage ditches (both sides of road) and lugged two 30 gallon bags to the one and only container (at the time). This included bits of water-logged insulation, plastic shards, beer cans, et al. Did you not see me? I expect not. This is why I questioned the overall purpose of "Trash Pickup" day.

Yes, I would like to have a special committee that discusses landscaping. In fact, this is not so out of the norm. I would be more than happy to join. You just point the way.

Vince